In This Article
One of the grave issues faced by tech users is how to clean fingerprints off laptop screens. Laptop screens frequently need cleaning due to the accumulation of dust and dirt. Fingerprints usually have oily sticks that adhere to the laptop screen.
In this article, I can help you with easy tricks to clean the greasy fingerprints and dust off the laptop screen. Read the full article about ‘how to clean fingerprints off the laptop screen.’ If you have suggestions about laptop screen cleaning, do let me know in the comments section.
How to clean fingerprints off laptop screen?
If you want a smooth process for ‘how to get fingerprints off laptop screen’ with no mishaps, follow the below-mentioned procedures.
Before digging into the procedure, I will mention some recommended laptop screen cleaning products. These products will help you to clean your laptop screen without any rash in no time.
Laptop screen cleaning products
You can use the following materials for ‘how to clean laptop screen.’
- Microfiber cloth for laptop. It is a synthetic fiber that is made specifically for cleaning purposes. It is the best product for cleaning sensitive laptop screens.
- A simple cotton cloth. Cotton is a good cleaner, it is delicate for laptop screens, and you can easily wash cotton clothes by hand or machine.
- A screen cleaner spray. It comes with multifunctional components like foam, a key pluckier, and a brush. The foam helps to clean the screen, while the key pluckier and dust removal brush facilitate the keyboard cleaning. You can get a laptop screen cleaner on amazon or any other store.
- Laptop screen cleaning wipes. Pre-moistened computer screen wipes are available on amazon at reasonable prices.
- The laptop screen cleaning kit ‘Great Shield’ consists of a microfiber cloth, a cleaning solution, and a dust removal brush. A perfect kit consists of all laptop cleaning tools.
DIY cleaning solution for laptop screen
You can make a 50/50 mixture by using distilled water and white vinegar. Vinegar is one of the natural disinfectants and cleaners. It is not harmful to the screen.
The second option is to use isopropyl alcohol instead of white vinegar. The mixture should be 50/50. Isopropyl is a safe product as it is readily available in cleansing solutions. So, you can trust both vinegar and isopropyl for cleaning the laptop screen.
Safety tips before the cleaning process
There are some general safety instructions that you must take before you start laptop screen cleaning:
- Shut down your laptop. It can help you to visualize fingerprints and dust particles easily, as they will be prominent on the black screen.
- If the battery is removable, take it out carefully.
- If the laptop is connected to the charger, disconnect it.
Steps to clean laptop screen fingerprints
Remember that the laptop screen cleaner spray can be distilled water. Use the self-made vinegar/water solution. Further, you can also apply a glass cleaner spray to the laptop screen.
I have listed some steps to get fingerprints off the laptop:
- Firstly, take either a microfiber cloth or a simple cotton cloth as a laptop screen cleaner cloth.
- Now spray the cleaning solution on the screen.
- Gently rub the cloth in a slow circular motion to prevent scratches from the dust particles.
- If a spray isn’t available, dip the edge of the cloth in the cleaning solution or water. Use a wet cloth as an alternative.
- If you are using a glass cleaner spray, let the liquid detach the dust particles; so the dust residues do not leave any scratches behind. It can help in the easy removal of fingerprints also.
Precautions about how to get fingerprints off laptop
Before starting the cleaning process, the following points should focus on; otherwise, the damage is real.
- Avoid using dish soap as a laptop screen cleaner.
- Please avoid using an old cleaning cloth, as it can irritate the laptop screen.
- Do not pour the cleaning solution directly on the screen because it can cause severe damage to the screen.
- Do not use polyester cloth, paper products, or tissue paper. Using this type of material can leave scratches on the screen.
- Avoid using cleaning products that contain ammonia, like acetone and methyl.
- Tap water is not an alternative to distilled water to ‘get fingerprints off the laptop.’ So, I will not recommend tap water as a laptop screen cleaner.
- Using a toothbrush can be an inappropriate option to clean a laptop screen.
How to clean laptop exterior?
A damp cotton cloth is enough to clean the laptop exterior. You can use an alcohol mixture to remove oily contaminants from the laptop’s exterior area. Otherwise, distilled water is enough for this use.
A lint-free cloth is highly effective for cleaning the laptop screen cover, as there are fewer chances of charge build-up that can harm the electrical setup. The lint-free cloth must be moist with water or a cleaning solution.
Best way to clean fingerprints off laptop
To get better cleaning results, you can continue with the following steps:
- A pre-moistened cloth with alcohol is best for thorough cleaning.
- Use a high-quality microfiber cloth for better results.
- Distilled water is the safest option for removing recent fingerprint impressions from the screen if you are satisfied with cleaning solutions.
- One of the effective options is to use isopropyl alcohol to remove debris and smudges off the screen.
- Slow rotatory motions offer better cleaning results.
How to clean fingerprints off laptop keyboard?
Amazon is one of the best marketplaces with reasonably priced valuable products. Portable mini vacuum cleaners are available for cleaning debris from the keyboard panel. After you have removed the dirt, you can clean fingerprints off laptop keyboard.
The laptop keyboard is a delicate area to clean as it contains numerous buttons. You cannot pour liquid products in this area as the main circuit for the laptop lies below it. So, avoid using liquid cleaners for the keyboard.
Is a cotton swab effective for the keyboard?
Yes, you can use a cotton swab to clean a keyboard. Note that the cotton swab is barely wet with a cleaning solution. So, it is totally recommended for the laptop keyboard.
Procedure to clean fingerprints off laptop keyboard:
Gently tap the cotton swab on the keys and the area in between the keys. Be careful while cleaning the keys. Your slight negligence can cause a costly solution.
Multipurpose brush tools for laptop keyboard
The keyboard cleaning tool kit consists of a spray can, an attached foam part, a key pluckier, and a brush. This 4-in-1 product satisfies laptop users and is also effective for mobile screens and tablets. These tools are also available on amazon to clean the keyboard section. Apart from amazon, you can grab these tools from Wal-Mart, eBay, daraz, and olx. Also, do check your local stores for multipurpose brush tools for laptops.
Disclaimer: Make sure that your laptop is powered off while cleaning the laptop screen and keyboard.
The article ‘how to clean fingerprints off the laptop screen’ provides valuable information regarding the concerns for cleaning the laptop screen.
Most laptop users procrastinate about applying alcohol products to the screen. Well, it is necessary to use better cleaning solutions to prevent any damage to your device. You can use a simple cotton piece or a microfiber cloth to clean the LCD screen efficiently.